Tutoring Session 05/28/26 (Anna & Fadia)

  Date/Time: Thursday, May 28th, 2:00-3:15

Location: FSU Student Union

Topic/Skill: Exam Preparation


Feedback provided to the tutee: During this tutoring session, I provided feedback to my tutee while she completed her exam review for her grammar class. I took a more hands-off feedback approach because it would be beneficial to replicate the kind of feedback she will receive on her exam. I allowed her to complete each section of the review, answering any questions when necessary, but waiting until she completed each section to provide error correction and feedback.

Lesson(s) about tutoring and/or the tutee you learned: During this tutoring session, I learned the importance of being honest when you, as the instructor, are uncertain. As this was a review for an advanced-level ESL student, there were high-level concepts that I was unable to answer in-depth questions about with 100% confidence. At first, I found myself wanting to act as though I undoubtedly knew the answer. Still, I quickly realized that it is significantly more beneficial for both the student and me if we deduce the answer together. An advanced ESL student may pose very thoughtful, complex questions about grammar structure, so it is a much more favorable approach to come to a conclusion by consulting a trusted resource with the student, or doing personal research as the instructor, and come back with a comprehensive answer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tutoring Session 06/30/26 (Anna & Fadia)

Tutoring Session 05/12/26 (Anna & Fadia)

Tutoring Session 05/21/26 (Anna & Fadia)