Tutoring Session 06/02/26 (Anna & Fadia)

 Date/Time: Tuesday, June 2nd, 2:00-3:00

Location: FSU Student Union

Topic/Skill: Modal Verbs, "Would you Rather" game


Feedback provided to the tutee: During this session, I asked my tutee direct questions regarding her knowledge of modal verbs. I provided direct feedback and corrected any errors in her thinking, utilizing information in a PowerPoint presentation I created and presented to her. After reviewing the concept of modal verbs, including their proper structure and use, I subtly corrected her by acting confused when she improperly used modal verbs while participating in a casual speaking game of "would you rather". This method allowed her to self-correct when she realized my confusion, which she was frequently able to do.  

Lesson(s) about tutoring and/or the tutee you learned: During this tutoring session, I learned the importance of allowing an advanced ESL student to utilize a self-correcting method of error correction. This is a more realistic way for students to improve their casual, everyday conversation skills, as the average native English speaker will, of course, not address casual conversational errors academically; rather, they give gestures of confusion or uncertainty. It seemed as though this method of real-time error correction was a bit tough for my tutee at first, but once she grasped the concept, our conversation flowed much more smoothly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tutoring Session 06/30/26 (Anna & Fadia)

Tutoring Session 05/12/26 (Anna & Fadia)

Tutoring Session 05/21/26 (Anna & Fadia)